The bus was jam-packed with people. I wondered where
the whole wide world was heading on a lazy Sunday morning. I’d rather they stay
at their homes and spend time with families.
The hot summer air and stuffiness in the crammed bus
was getting onto my nerves. But what irked me more was the presence of men
sticking onto me; by chance or by choice, I’d rather not speculate.
The destination
was still an hour away and I happened to be one of those lucky folks who got a
seat. As I sat there lost in thoughts and playing out my version of the day
ahead in my head, I felt something on my arm. (I was wearing a half sleeved
top.) In a flash of a second, my imagination ran wild, thanks to the record of
experiences I have had on public transport buses.
Trying to figure
out what’s touching my arm, I looked at the man standing close to me. Nothing. It
was just the flap of his shirt below the last button. He stood facing me and
the forces in the bus pushed him to stand so close to me. I twitched in my
seat, tried to move in, move forward to the edge. Each time that piece of cloth
touched me, I’d get the jitters.
I kept looking up at his face from time to time…also at
the part of the shirt making me feel uncomfortable.
The entire journey passed with me counting every tick
of time. The bus reached its destination, also mine…Majestic bus station. I
stepped down into yet another “testosterone-charged” environment which tickled my
senses and hormones within me behaved weirdly, none of which felt good. I
wondered why is it that the sight of opposite gender, their massive presence annoyed
me. No answer. Or maybe, no single right answer “jisko lock kiya jaye”.
I met my friend. And we continued our journey and
conversations together.
Me: You know what I’d do first, if I reached a position
of power where I could change things in the city or state? I will introduce
buses exclusively for women.
My friend looked at me with the least amount of respect
I’d ever seen on his face for me. Not that I was expecting him to pat me on my
back and appreciate my efforts for the “greater good” of my gender, but this
was the most unexpected response.
He: I will be the first one to stone that bus.
Whoa!! Now that was not what I was looking for.
He: why do you want to start a bus exclusively
for women?
I had my answers clear and sorted out this time.
Me: Because I want them to travel comfortably,
without having to put up with hands that can’t stay put and x-ray vision eyes
that glare at them.
He: Just because you cannot deal with it, you
cannot run away or introduce buses for yourselves. This is not revolution, this
is ESCAPISM.
“ESCAPISM” !!…that word kept ringing in my ears. Every cell in my body screamed.
I swear if it was not him, I would have hit this guy sitting
next to me, throwing shit at my self-esteem.
Me: If you had a daughter, would you say all
this to her?
He: Of course, I would say the same to my
daughter. If she doesn’t face it, she’s not my daughter.
For the person I knew he was, I was sure he meant what
he said. I respected him for that statement.
I tried to lighten it up and stood firm on my decision
to roll out buses for women.
Me: So, you’ll stone one of my buses. What would
you do if I bring out a fleet of buses for women?
The response was instant. He never had second thoughts,
I guess.
He: I’d buy a quarry for myself and keep stoning
all your buses!!!
I broke out into laughter. I’m not very sure if I was a
little irritated with him, but I laughed my hearts out.
……………………………………………………………………………………
On the bus journey back home, I thought about what he’d
told me. Is it escapism? A faint voice inside me agreed it truly was escapism.
The voice inside me raised a question, “Why do we have to move away to separate
buses? Why is it that we cannot share the space with men? We do not have to
move away or compromise because somebody else can’t get their hormones and
thoughts sorted out.”
Well, agreed.
Bingo! I got another idea. I messaged him.
Me: I’m not going to start buses for women. I’m
going to start self- defense classes and encourage girls and women to take it
up. What say?
He: that’s more like it J
So, there ends my aspiration for buses for unfortunate
women who cannot give it back…there ends the saga of my “pink buses” even
before it began.
I’d rather we share the same public space and fight
back when it is encroached upon…not move away comfortably. What say??

well written ancy :)
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of starting self-defense classes rather than introducing pink buses :)
There u go :)
ReplyDeleteWomen-only buses don't work at all! Self defense classes are a nice touch, but what I'd like more is to bring up women without any fear!
ReplyDeleteApoorva, I agree...for this the entire mind-set needs a makeover.
Deletei like your story telling style. . and the food for thought was also delicious.and i feel our public is very supportive to women.all what she needs to do is to raise her voice.rest will be taken care of by all the other people.i feel self defence classes are little far fetched now,parents teaching their children to just stand up against misbehavior and not to shy away into oblivion is a good alternative
ReplyDeleteChoice is ours, run away or face it? No matter how!!
ReplyDeleteWhen we start facing, we start living.
Good Job Ancee!!